VOICES' Founding Story
In 2004, community leaders from various agencies that support foster youth in Napa County came together to formally address the question: what happens to foster youth after they leave the system? They quickly discovered that the challenges facing these youth were insurmountable – and the services they were receiving insufficient.
Profiles of VOICES Donors
• Bruce Ketron - a sought-after financial advisor believes helping others connects us to our higher selves
• John Shafer - founder of Napa's renowned Shafer Vineyards works to prevent kids from 'falling through the cracks'
• Nancy Maushardt - long-time philanthropist believes in the power for good found in the VOICES 'family'
Stories of VOICES Youth
• Angel - from an orphanage in Mexico, to being reclaimed by an alcoholic parent, to foster care, Angel found direction and a pathway to success through VOICES
• Trevor - from a difficult youth in foster care, drug abuse and finally jail time, Trevor took back control of his life with help from VOICES staff who cared
• Michael - from years in and out of juvenile detention and eventually prison, Michael turned to VOICES to help him create a new life for himself, with a secure job and a promising future.
Highlights of VOICES Programs
• CalFresh - meeting life's basic needs so that lasting personal success can be achieved
• Independent Living Program - giving emancipated youth a roadmap to adulthood
• Friday Night Live - youth working with city officials to curb underage drinking
• Workforce Investment Act - employing young people in our community